Animal Services

Pet Licensing

Licensing your pet is easy and gives your pet an inexpensive insurance policy for its safety and protection. Plus, it is the law. All dogs and cats must be licensed with the City of Kenmore. Regional Animal Services of King County provides pet licensing services to Kenmore.


A King County pet license includes many benefits such as:

  • The first time your pet is found, King County will attempt to skip the shelter and bring your pet home;
  • Licensed pets have a longer stray hold at the shelter;
  • The Vacation Pet Alert programs allows you to provide contact information for your pet care while you are away from home; and
  • Pet license fees support the return of hundreds of lost pets to their homes and help adopt thousands of homeless pets to new families each year. License revenues from Kenmore residents are applied to the City's service costs, so you are directly supporting the services provided in Kenmore.


You can license your pet by one of the following easy methods:

  • Online. Purchase or renew your pet's license online.
  • In Person. Buy a pet license in person at Kenmore City Hall or many other convenient locations throughout King County.
  • Mail. Download an application form, or visit a convenient location near you to pick up an application form, and complete the Owner's Statement of Spay or Neuter form.


For more information, visit the King County website.


Poultry Policy

Kenmore Municipal Code 18.70 allows the keeping of poultry* as an accessory use outside the dwelling subject to certain conditions:

  • Three small animals may be kept in the City if your property is less than 20,000 square feet (0.4591 acre) in size.
  • Five per household on lots of 20,000 to 35,000 (0.8035) square feet.
  • Additional small animals: two per acre of site area over 35,000 square feet.
  • Roosters are allowed in the total.
  • All small animals shall be confined within a building, pen, aviary or similar structure or securely fenced portion of the site. Any covered structure used to house or contain such animals shall maintain a distance of not less than 10 feet to any property line.

*Poultry are considered small animals according to the Kenmore Municipal Code and can include, but are not limited to chickens, ducks, peacocks, and pigeons.


Animal Control

Animal control services in the City of Kenmore are provided by Regional Animal Services of King County (RASKC) under an Interlocal Agreement. For information on animal control services, to find a lost pet, help a stray animal, or to report other animal control related issues, contract the RASKC call center at (206) 296-PETS (7387) or email


RASKC animal control field officers respond to the following requests:

  • leash law enforcement
  • vicious animal complaints
  • cruelty investigations
  • animal bites
  • injured animal rescues
  • "dead-on-arrival" livestock/cats/dogs
  • police department calls for assistance
  • aggressive or sick animal pick-up

If you are experiencing a life-threatening animal-related emergency, call 9-1-1. Lower priority calls, including, but not limited to, non-emergent high priority events, patrol requests, trespass, stray dog/cat, barking dog, leash law violation, trap request, and confined animal notification will be responded to by call center staff over the telephone, referral to other resources, or by dispatch of an animal control field officer as necessary or available.

Animal Sheltering

The City of Kenmore contracts with Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) for animal shelter services of dogs and cats. PAWS is a champion for animals - rehabilitating injured and orphaned wildlife, sheltering and adopting homeless cats and dogs, and educating people to make a better world for animals and people.



15305 44th Ave W
Lynnwood, WA 98087
Tel (425) 787-2500
For more information about the PAWS sheltering program, hours of operation, or to adopt a pet, please see the PAWS Shelter website.



Last updated: Wed, 03/01/2017 - 8:51am